CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Who I Am- By: Christine McFarlane


 Yesterday
I walked alone

My head down
As I walked
Cloaked in shame

Ignorant to
who I was
And what I represented

Yesterday
I walked alone

I listened to the words
You will never amount
To anything

All because of my race,
The color of my skin
And the stereotypes
Instilled by those
Who thought they
Could kill us
By putting us down

Yesterday
I walked alone

My head down
As I walked
Cloaked in shame

I never realized
Until I started my journey
Of healing
And reclaiming myself
And the ways of my people

That the ghosts
Of my past
Would continue to walk
With me

Until I stood up
And told them
I will not take it
anymore

I am who I am
A First Nations woman
Proud of myself

And those before her
Who rose up against
Invisibility and oppression

Celebrated their ways
spoke their languages

and never forgot
who they were
and where they came from.

I am part of a nation
Who refuses

To be silenced.

No comments: