CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Wrong Day ( A Short Story)

The Wrong Day:
By: Christine McFarlane

BEEP.... BEEP.... the sound awakens me abruptly. My head is foggy, my hand snakes out from under my pillow clumsily feeling for my eyeglasses I keep on my nightstand. I don't want to get up, but through squinted eyes, the time glares out at me, and it makes me throw my sheets off and jump out of my bed.

My glasses hit my face, and it takes a second for my vision to adjust. My feet hit the floor, and I stand up and stretch. "Damn," I whisper to myself, "I'm going to be late."

 Covering my mouth, I yawn and move across the floor to the washroom, tearing my clothes off as I go. For once I don’t care where they drop as long as I can shower and get out the door.

I turn on the water and hop in, forgetting that I haven’t tested the water, and almost falling as I yell “Holy shit! I scramble to get the water to cool down. ‘Burning myself is not on my agenda today’, I think to myself and I laugh. HA HA HA.

As I am in the shower, I think of my day ahead and what I have to do. The ‘have to’s” are endless. “I have to do some writing, I have to go to the bank, I have to, I have to….” Its enough to make me dizzy and want to crawl back under my covers, but I know I can’t.

I am preparing to go away, and I have to get some last minute stuff done, before I hit the subway and head out to the airport. A few more seconds pass, and then I grab my towel and hop out of the shower.

Wrapping the towel around me, I step out of my bathroom and move across the floor to my bedroom. I dry myself off, throw on some talcum powder and apply my deodorant. I open my closet door and rummage around for my underclothes, my favorite pair of jeans, and a t-shirt.

I scramble to get dressed, and comb my hair. Combing my hair takes mere seconds, and I spread some gel on it, spiking it just the way I want to. To reassure myself that I look okay, I smile at myself in the mirror and go to briefly sit down at my computer.


My luggage is sitting right beside me, my ID sitting on top of my desk, ready for me to grab. I glance quickly at the time that is on my computer screen, and see the date.... September 23. How can that be?

And that is when I realize, my days have been mixed up, and I am not going away until tomorrow. I throw my hands in the air, cross my floor and throw myself back onto my bed.


Those errands I had to do, they can be done in a little bit, I tell myself. I am going back to sleep. After my heart slows down, I close my eyes and not long afterwards, I am back in dreamland.

(work in progress)


No comments: