CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Poem- I Wear a Mask

 
I Wear A Mask
 
By: Christine Smith (McFarlane)
 
I wear
a mask 
 
You may not believe
it

 
But sometimes when 
you see me laughing

or 

see me smiling
and deep in thought


 things aren't always
what they seem

 But I'm practiced
at making things
look like they're ok
on the outside

when they're really not

It's the tricks
I've learned
over the years

I think they came
with this mask
When I first picked it up

No one knows
the loneliness
I feel at night


Or the sadness
that overwhelms my very soul
when the tears 
come
from out of nowhere


and I sit
writing
to try and make sense


Of 
why I feel 
the way
 I do

When things on the surface
seem to be going so well

I wear a mask 
You may not believe it

But behind it
lays something
called
 depression

And I've learned
that it can either kill me
or make me stronger

I've chosen 
the latter
Because deep down inside
I know

I am stronger
than the depression itself


2013


 







No comments: