CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Getting Myself Fit in Every Way Possible



 
By: Christine McFarlane

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. I believe that this goes for everything you try in life. Whether that is wanting to get more fit, incorporate more fun into your life or doing something that you normally wouldn't do. For me, getting more active after the winter months can be a bit difficult, especially when I struggle with depression and getting myself out of a particular mode that has had me in hibernation. (ah the bear spirit is speaking to me right now!)

As the weather gets warmer,  and I see the sun shine more, and witness more and more people putting away their heavy winter coats and boots, and pulling out their windbreakers and running shoes, a little voice inside my head says “it is time for me to get fit too.”

Getting fit is important but it is not just about feeling well physically. For me it also means feeling emotionally, mentally and spiritually balanced and it involves incorporating an attitude and lifestyle that helps me to feel good about myself in every way possible.

Keeping myself fit means that I have to make a point of paying attention to how I am feeling in every way, and incorporating a routine into my daily life that helps me to stay focused. That means eating regularly, getting outside more, walking, journaling and/or drawing and painting and getting together with friends even if my mood dictates otherwise. I have to do what works for me.

As an individual in recovery from eating disorders, I sometimes worry about overdoing things and possibly relapsing. I think about this because it is very easy for me to put food aside when I am feeling stressed, and not feel like eating. I have to be consciously aware that if I don't make time for eating, my overall sense of well being can be put off kilter. Getting balance back can also be quite trying, work that I can find myself beating myself up for.

I'm learning when it comes to getting fit in every way possible that I must incorporate the following into my life

  •  setting my alarm in the mornings and getting up instead of staying in bed and sleeping
  • going for walks, getting off public transit a stop or two early and walking the rest of the way to my destination
  • writing- getting my journal out and writing, even if I don't feel like it
  • calling friends, answering the phone even when I feel like ignoring it
  • taking breaks when I need to, and doing things I would not normally do

Getting myself fit and active involves many steps but I am learning that it does not always have to be difficult. In recovery, you learn about letting things go and going with the flow. I hope that with my continued work, I will learn to keep going with the flow and live my life to the fullest, and have a smile on my face instead of a frown.


No comments: