CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Sunday, December 4, 2011

1st Music Review- Country Album "Shattered Glass"

(Mike Gouchie-Photo By: Christine McFarlane)

(Mike Gouchie's Album Shattered Glass)

Music Review/Shattered Glass:
By: Christine McFarlane


To switch things up a little here on my blog, I am trying my hand at a couple of music reviews by First Nations/Inuit/Metis artists. Recently, as part of an assignment with Anishinabek News, I had an opportunity to cover the 2011 Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards and heard some voices that I knew very little about. I can tell you that this admission makes me feel a bit guilty because it made me realize that I had become stuck in listening to the same old, same old, and had not let myself become open to other musicians.

I realized that by listening to other people’s music, it helps keep my mind more open to listening to the various styles of music that my people sing. While at the Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards, I was totally captivated by one of the performers- Mike Gouchie.

Mike Gouchie, a singer/songwriter/performer who lives in the Okanagan, British Columbia  released his stellar CD “Shattered Glass” in 2010.

The title song “Shattered Glass” is a heartbreaking and achingly beautiful ballad with lyrics that speaks to anyone who has ever lost someone’s love.

“Well I held onto you
You let go
Ever since that day
I’ve been dying slow

Like a house with no
Lights on the streets
That’s where you left me

I tried my best
To get back up off my feet
Since you walked out
With everything I need

Every time I
Reach inside
My empty heart
There you are

Like shattered glass
Broken jagged pieces
Of the past”

Gouchie was nominated for Best Male Artist, Best Album of the Year, Best Country Album, Best Song Single and Best Songwriter at the 2011 Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards. He ended up taking home the award for both Best Album of the Year and Best Song Single.


Other songs on the CD include "Don't Miss Missing You," "Don't Touch the Radio," Didn't Get a Damn Thing Done," "No Amount of Rain," "Dust", "If That Don't Break Your Heart," "Heart of Gold," "I Cried," and "Storms Never Last." Each song carries its own message, makes you think, and has you singing along.

With an amazing range of songs that captivate life’s highs and lows, this CD is a great addition to any country-lovers collection.

Shattered Glass is available now in select HMV locations across Canada. Check out Mike Gouchie's website at  http://www.classista.com/mikegouchie 

1 comment:

Glass Ball Christmas Ornaments said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your opinion. Thanks!