CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Poem: She Remembers

She Remembers:
By: Christine McFarlane

She remembers
the girl 
she used to be

the one who sat
on the sidelines
with her shoulders hunched
and her head down

her voice
barely above a whisper
refusing to make eye contact

just in case 
she would begin 
to cry

for her confidence
was next to non-existent
and so was her pride

beaten down
by her oppressors
after years of being told
"you will be nothing"

You will die

Now she's a woman
Who can hold her head high
And smile

For she has
made and defined
her own path

Choosing education
instead of ignorance
About who she was
And what she stood for

Choosing healing
instead of sickness

Finding community
Instead of being alone

And knowing inside
with help and support
 from those who believed

That she can succeed
At whatever she wants to be

She just has to
Believe

And she will fly

No comments: