CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Friday, July 1, 2011

Toronto's Largest Outdoor Pow Wow Brings Community Together


Na Me Res Pow Wow on June 25, 2011, Wells Hill Park, Toronto, Ontario


A pow wow is a great way for a community to come together and celebrate a heritage that is rich and vibrant. Whenever there is a pow wow, it is an event that I look forward to attending. It gives people who are not familiar with First Nations culture, a chance to see how rich First Nations culture is. It can empower  those who grew up without a chance to experience their culture, traditions and ways, a chance to see the different types of  dancing, hear drumming from various groups and foster a greater understanding within.

The pow wow experience means two things to me. It is empowering and it helps bring a sense of belonging to something that I felt lost to while growing up- culture.



In going to a pow wow, I love the sound of the drums, the images of those who dance and when a pow wow is held in the city, it does a great service for those First Nations who have only known the city. It brings culture to us and allows us to experience something we may not have otherwise had a chance to learn.

No comments: