CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Launch "Ceremonies for the Dead"- Giles Benaway! Support a New Writer!






FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 10, 2013


Benaway gives Voice to Dead in New Book


CAPE CROKER, Ontario (May 10, 2013) –



Just as the sun brings us back to life in spring, Giles Benaway awakens the
bones of ancestors and gives voice to the darkness in his debut book of
poetry, Ceremonies for the Dead.



Join Benaway at Glad Day Bookshop, 598A Yonge St., Toronto, on Friday
May 31st from 6 to 9 p.m. to celebrate the launch of Ceremonies for the Dead
with a reading, book signing and reception.



Ceremonies for the Dead examines the haunting themes of inter-generational trauma, cyclical abuse and inherited grief. Four generations of the dead take turns narrating these themes, navigating from the Great Lakes through the Appalachian Mountains, and examining the fur trade, an exile from Minnesota, the experiences of West Virginia coal miners and the legacy of mission schools. Black humour and satire fill the collection, illuminating a fun fierce determination to survive and resist colonization and the endurance of culture and identity under extreme duress.



Ceremonies for the Dead is available for purchase at kegedonce.com, through LitDistCo: 1.800.591.6250, or by ordering through your local book store.


“Ceremonies danced me through my very soul and I fell into my own ancestors as I read. It feels
like I have been looking for these poems since all my life...”

- Lee Maracle, Award-winning Poet, Novelist and Performance Storyteller



Giles Benaway (Anishinaabe/Métis/Tsagli) is of Odawa/Potawatomi, Cherokee, Métis and European descent. A descendant of women from three Indigenous nations, French and Scottish voyageurs and original Mayflower immigrants, he represents a unique voice in the field of Indigenous writing. An emerging Queer / Two-Spirited poet, he has often been described as the spiritual love child of Truman Capote and Thompson Highway

His poetry can be found in First Nations House Magazine, Muskrat Magazine, Prairie Fire, Matrix Magazine and scrawled within bathroom stalls at truck stops across Ontario.

-30-



For more information or to arrange an interview with Giles Benaway, please contact:





Renée Abram

Publishing Manager, Kegedonce Press

info@kegedonce.com

519.371.1434

Kegedonce Press

w’daub awae, speaking true.

Cape Croker First Nation
RR#5 Wiarton, ON NOH 2TO

kegedonce.com







Kegedonce Press gratefully acknowledges the generous support of its Funders:














No comments: