CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Poem: Standing On Barren Land


Standing On Barren Land
By: Christine McFarlane

I stand on a barren expanse of land
The buildings and houses are sparse
Country as far as the eyes can see


The skies are gray
The ground cold to the touch
The wind bites at my cheeks

This place is supposed to be home
Because this is where my mom
Lives and breaths


To me this land is foreign.
Everything unfamiliar
As I navigate my way around
Trying to feel at ease

But feeling the quickening
Of my breath
And my heart pounding

There’s sadness
I can’t quite define

I just know
That right now
I stand on a barren expanse of land
Unfamiliar to me

I will be back in the city
Soon

But for now
I’ll pray to the Creator
For my mom and I

That we’ll be fine
And finally free
Of the past that haunts us
And makes us afraid to be

2012

No comments: