CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Getting Yourself out of a Writer's Block with Free Writing


Get Yourself Out of Writer's Block with Free Writing Exercises:

Free writing is helpful when you need to get out of a writer's block. The material you write while engaging in this exercise, actually brings up things you never thought you would write about. Believe me, I have tried it and end up having a few good laughs at some of the stuff I have written. Try it, don't be afraid to let me know what you think of this type of writing exercise. Contact me at chrissy.mcfarlane@gmail.com 

Free writing follows these simple guidelines:

                Write nonstop for a set period of time (10–20 minutes).
                Do not make corrections as you write.
                Keep writing; even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
                Write whatever comes into your mind.
                Do not judge or censor what you are writing, just let your writing flow.

Free writing has these benefits:
                It makes you more comfortable with the act of writing.
                It helps you bypass the "inner critic"
                It can be a valve to release inner tensions.
                It can help you discover things to write about.
                It can indirectly improve your formal writing.
                It can be fun.

Lastly:
                Use the writing tool that is most comfortable for you— pencil, computer, or whatever.
                Don't cross anything out: Write the new idea down; leave the old one.
                Drop all punctuation. That can make your free writing faster and more fluent.

Happy Writing!!!

(content on free writing guidelines and the benefits are borrowed from http://web.mst.edu/~gdoty/classes/concepts-practices/free-writing.html)


Coming this week:

 My next blog post will be a review of the "Aboriginal People, Resilience and the Residential School Legacy" from the Aboriginal Healing Foundation (AHF) Research Series books and then I will have a guest post write up about the AHF by Dr. Cynthia Wesley-Esquimaux.

No comments: