CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Getting Yourself out of a Writer's Block with Free Writing


Get Yourself Out of Writer's Block with Free Writing Exercises:

Free writing is helpful when you need to get out of a writer's block. The material you write while engaging in this exercise, actually brings up things you never thought you would write about. Believe me, I have tried it and end up having a few good laughs at some of the stuff I have written. Try it, don't be afraid to let me know what you think of this type of writing exercise. Contact me at chrissy.mcfarlane@gmail.com 

Free writing follows these simple guidelines:

•                Write nonstop for a set period of time (10–20 minutes).
•                Do not make corrections as you write.
•                Keep writing; even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
•                Write whatever comes into your mind.
•                Do not judge or censor what you are writing, just let your writing flow.

Free writing has these benefits:
•                It makes you more comfortable with the act of writing.
•                It helps you bypass the "inner critic"
•                It can be a valve to release inner tensions.
•                It can help you discover things to write about.
•                It can indirectly improve your formal writing.
•                It can be fun.

Lastly:
•                Use the writing tool that is most comfortable for you— pencil, computer, or whatever.
•                Don't cross anything out: Write the new idea down; leave the old one.
•                Drop all punctuation. That can make your free writing faster and more fluent.

Happy Writing!!!

(content on free writing guidelines and the benefits are borrowed from http://web.mst.edu/~gdoty/classes/concepts-practices/free-writing.html)


Coming this week:

 My next blog post will be a review of the "Aboriginal People, Resilience and the Residential School Legacy" from the Aboriginal Healing Foundation (AHF) Research Series books and then I will have a guest post write up about the AHF by Dr. Cynthia Wesley-Esquimaux.

No comments: