CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Monday, March 19, 2012

Poetry: She Asks

By: Christine McFarlane


She asks
as if its nothing

"Are you nervous?"

I'm quiet
for a second
and I want
to say

hell ya
but don't

I just nod
Unable to speak

My mouth 
wide open

My jaw
hurting

As
her fingers
make their way 
to my mouth

with a shiny steel
instrument

in one hand

I notice
a small mirror
on one side

a tiny
little hook
on the other

She adjusts
the bright light
that shines down
upon me

as she is
about to pick
and probe

not caring
if that one jab
may gauge my gums
or ricochet 
off of 
one of my teeth

I don't dare
say

it hurts 
just a bit

 she asks
anyway

"are you nervous"

I'm quiet
for a second
and I want 
to say

hell ya
but don't

I just nod
Because she 
wouldn't understand

To her
It's just
a job

Cleaning teeth.


2012


No comments: