CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Saturday, December 18, 2010

What is a Piece of Paper?

I ask myself, what is a piece of paper? To some it is just something that can be crumpled up and thrown away-it is something that just holds words that may not mean a thing.

I ask myself what is a piece of paper?  Today I received a piece of paper that not only means everything to me, but it is also the only tangible thing I can hold close in memory of my biological father. I have nothing else besides an archived copy of the obituary notice I found in the Winnipeg Star.

Death in any family is difficult but I cannot even imagine what it was like for his family when they got the news that he was murdered December 18, 1990. It is with this thought, that I offer peace to the family I do not know and put down a tobacco tie in honour of his life.

I ask myself, what is a piece of paper? To me it means everything-its the one thing I can hold in my hands and say "I know my father existed, here it is"

I write this in memory of my biological father- William John McKay Jr. I hope that wherever you are in the spirit world, you are at peace, and I hope that if you are looking down, I am making you proud.

What is a piece of paper? To me it is the only tangible thing I hold in my hands for now  that will remind me that you once lived, and that is something I can hold onto until some day I find a picture of you.

No comments: