CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dealing With Change: By: Christine McFarlane



Change brings about many feelings that can often have you feeling like you are riding on a rollercoaster of emotions. One minute you can feel like you are on top of the world, and the next you can feel scared of what is ahead for you. When this happens it can be easy for you to think about those old thoughts and behaviors that you used to resort to, to help you feel safe.

Entertaining these old thoughts and behaviors are not an option if you want to continue on the path of healing you have embarked upon. If you find yourself slipping back into your old ways, this is where you need to stop yourself and take inventory of what it is that is really scaring you and note what tools you can use to continue on your healing journey.

These tools can include getting physical, like riding a bike or doing some type of sport, emotional support- talking to someone you trust, spiritual-whatever you find healing- for me it is smudging with one of the four medicines, and mentally- writing, reading or drawing. Whatever you find works for you, do it and stay with it. It may even help if you enlist someone in your support system to help you stay on track.

Change brings about many feelings and it can be scary, but change is also good. It is okay to be afraid, and it is okay to feel that fear. You have to ride with the fear and know that you can get through it without resorting back to old ways. Ultimately it is up to you to not let that fear deter you from what you are working towards.

For me, taking note of how change affects my thoughts and actions and being proactive about the tools I need to use to stay healthy is key to my continued successes.

No comments: