CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Review: Ghost Sick by Emily Pohl-Weary


Ghost Sick
Emily Pohl-Weary
Tightrope Books

Reviewed By: Christine Smith (McFarlane)

Violence and crime do not just affect a victim and their family; it also affects a whole community. This is evident in the poetry of Emily Pohl-Weary in her book Ghost Sick, where she writes about violence and its impact not only on herself but on her community as a whole.

Pohl-Weary’s poetry in Ghost Sick are deep and poignant, I especially empathize with the poem World of Sorrow where Pohl-Weary writes about a Christmas Eve shooting and says

“Before that night
I had no way of comprehending
It only takes a second to tear
The spirit from a young body

Bullets
A .22 aimed behind parked cars
Five blocks from our childhood home
Business as usual ended a boy’s life
Nearly ripped a brother from mine”

Ghost Sick makes you look deep inside yourself, takes your breathe away and leaves you with wanting more. A great collection of poetry overall.

Ghost Sick is published by Tightrope Books and is 105 pages

No comments: