CHRISTINE'S BLOG

Welcome! I love to write, and I love sharing what I write with my readers. I vary my style as much as I can-posting events, creative non-fiction, prose and poetry and the occasional video. Enjoy!

Miigwetch

Christine

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Accidentally Sent Email: By: Christine McFarlane

It all began when my finger pressed the SEND button on the email I had been trying to compose for the last hour and a half.

I was hurt, angry and confused. I was letting my fingers do the talking instead of letting my brain process the news I had been sent via post earlier that day-the small white envelope with my name scribbled on the front, and the piece of paper that fell out stating

"I can no longer be a part of your life. I cannot give a reason why but this will be my last communication with you."

"Please do not respond."

As a friend, you had always been there. I could call you up anytime and know that you would listen. We could laugh at the silliest things and be serious when either of us wanted to go over the petty annoyances of our day.

We had started to drift apart in recent months, phone calls were few and far between, and emails slowly trickled down to maybe once or twice every other week. They were always vague, the warmth zapped right out of them. As though it was a duty to email instead of two friends keeping in touch. I never thought it would come to this.

TAP....TAP...TAP... go my fingers on my keyboard, as tears silently fall. My head is hurting and my eyes squint as I lean towards my computer screen and furiously type out a reply you didn't want me to give.

"Dear John, we've been friends for many years. We've seen each other through many ups and downs. Why are you doing this now? I don't understand."

My email continues briefly....

"What did I do? Is there anyway we can talk about this, meet for coffee? Please? "

I end my email with the message,

"please, please call me. I love you."


My finger hits the SEND button and then I realize

Oh Shit! I have accidently sent this email to my boss.

Within a matter of minutes.. All hell breaks loose.

(a work of fiction, and still in progress)

No comments: